google4023685939f2c862.html name='viewport'/> English Eduspot : SSLC English Exam 2021: "THE BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE" - POSSIBLE DISCOURSES
Email: englisheduspot@gmail.com WhatsApp or Call 8848153351... Subscribe English Eduspot Edu-Video YouTube Channel.
© Reproduction of the contents of this blog in whatever format without prior permission is strictly prohibited.

Monday, February 15, 2021

SSLC English Exam 2021: "THE BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE" - POSSIBLE DISCOURSES

 DISCOURSES

The Best Investment I Ever Made

Review

Prepare a Review of the anecdote ‘The Best Investment I Ever Made’ focusing on the suspense and flashback.

 

‘The Best Investment I Ever Made’ – a review

 

The anecdote ‘The Best Investment I Ever Made’by the Scottish writer Dr. AJ Cronin is a typical short story with all its ingredients. It has suspense in the beginning, a fantastic flash-back to develop the plot and a moral lesson which is exemplary.


Dr Cronin was on a voyage back from New York. On the second day, he noticed that one of the passengers was closely watching him. He ignored him as he wanted to take rest. On the following forenoon, the man with his wife was seen again earnestly watching him. This time Dr. Cronin also had some interest to know about the person and his intention. Here the story creates suspense and arouses eagerness in the minds of the readers too. Encouraged by his wife, finally the man approached Dr. Cronin and introduced himself very timidly.


In the beginning Dr. Cronin could not recognize him.  But when he said something in his ears, he recognized the man and his thoughts went back to an incident happened 25 years ago. Here starts the flash black of the plot in the story. Once a police sergeant approached Dr. Cronin and requested him to attend a suicide case. Dr. Cronin examined the young man who tried to commit suicide and found his condition was very pathetic. After an hour’s hard work with the help of the sergeant and the landlady of the lodge, Dr. Cronin could bring him back to life.

The man told them his pathetic story. His name was John, and he was an orphan. His uncle found him a job in the town. Soon he began to lead a loose life, and gambled to find money for pleasures of life. He lost everything and stole some money from his office. Being afraid of the prosecution, in great despair and anguish, he resolved to end his life. Having heard John’s story, they decided to help him. Dr. Cronin gave him seven pounds and ten shilling to put back in the office safe.  


For John, it was like a second life. He determined to change in life and to make a fresh start. He later became a great social worker.

 

 Write-up

Do you think the title ‘The Best Investment I Ever Made’ is appropriate to the story? Why? Prepare a write-up on the aptness of the title.

 Aptness of the title 'The Best Investment I Ever Made'

Dr. AJ Cronin used the title The Best Investment I Ever Made for his story. When we read the story, we realize that the title is very apt to the theme of the story.

The word ‘investment’ literally means the act of putting money, time, efforts, etc. into something to make a profit or an advantage. But Dr A J Cronin used the word in connection with his story in a different sense. He invested his money, time and efforts not for any worldly gain. He spent seven ponds and ten shillings only to help a poor young man, and he forgot the whole incident in a short while. But after a long period of time – a quarter of a century – now he comes to know that his timely help totally transformed the young man’s life and made him to be a great social worker. Thus his timely interference, his time and efforts to help a young man has become fruitful. His contribution of seven pounds and ten shillings to help him has now brought him an immense profit, though not in the form of any worldly gain. So he calls it ‘the best investment he ever made, which is apt and meaningful in every sense.

Diary Entry

After being saved by Dr AJ Cronin, Mr. John expressed in his diary his regrets upon his loose life, foolish attempt of committing suicide and his determination to start a fresh and fruitful life. Prepare the likely Diary Entry.

 Thursday,

18 March 2021

 What a terrible experience! How foolish I was! In that moment of despair, I tried to embrace death. Hope came in the form of the sergeant and the doctor. They saved my life. The landlady also helped me. I can never forget them in my life. I will never again follow that dark and evil life of mine. Definitely I will change. Like the doctor, the sergeant and the landlady, I will also try to change the lives of others. This is a second life to me, for which I owe to this society. I should do something to serve the society.


Imagine that Mr. John, after meeting the narrator for the second time, writes his diary.  What would be the possible diary entry? Write it down.

 Thursday, 18 March 2021

11:00pm.

English Eduspot

 
How can I ever forget this day! Today I met the man who gave me this life 25 years back. God brought us together on the same ship. At the very first glance I recognized him. But I was too shy to approach him.  My wife encouraged me to meet and talk to him. When I told Dr. AJ Cronin about my charity work, he showed interest to talk; but he couldn’t still recognize me. Then I whispered in his ears about the foolish attempt of suicide that I had committed 25 years before, he could distinguish me. What a play of fate! For 7 pounds 10 shillings I tried to take my life; like an angel this man came, saved me and gave me that paltry sum, which made me a new man. Now putting an end to my 25 years’ search, God brought him in front of me again. Oh God, You’re Great! This is the happiest day in my life!

Notice

Imagine that a Youth Welfare Club of your locality has decided to honour Mr. John for the tremendous contributions he renders in the field of charity and youth welfare. Prepare a Notice announcing the honoring ceremony.


                                        

                                      Kairali Youth Welfare Club, Palakkad                                                                              Honouring Ceremony

Dear friends, 

The Kairali Youth Welfare Club of Palakkad has decided to honour Mr. John, the renowned social worker for his devoted services in the field of social work and youth welfare. Many socio-cultural leaders will attend the function to honour Mr. John. 

You are cordially invited to attend the ceremony. 

Date: 25 March 2021

Time: 10 am

Venue: Community Conference Hall 


Palakkad                                                                                                     Secretary,

18 March 2021                                                                                           Kairali Club.


 Speech

The Youth Welfare Organization has decided to honour Mr John for his valuable contributions in the field of social work. You are delivering a felicitation speech attending the function. Prepare the likely speech.

 

Honourable dignitaries on the dais, our esteemed chief guest Mr. John and my dear friends: A very warm, good morning to all of you.
I am very much delighted in having got an opportunity to share a few words with you on this occasion. We have assembled here to witness a noble function of honoring Mr. John for his unique services he has been rendering in the field of social work and youth welfare.

A timely act of kindness can transform a man’s life! Mr. John’s life substantiates that great truth. Once he had transgressed and led a loose life in his youthful days. He gambled to find money for his pleasures. He lost everything and he even stole some amount from his work-place. Finally having lost everything, he decided to end his own life. Luck alone saved him. Kind-hearted persons like Dr A J Conin helped and brought him back to a normal life.

I’m very proud and happy to tell you that Mr. John has already paid all the debt he owed to the society. He and his wife have been travelling to different parts of the world to experience and execute the charity work among the maladjusted and delinquent youths. We have a lot to learn from the life of Mr. John. A timely intervention of three good people saved a young man and the young man in return keeps on serving our society! A tiny deed of kindness can sometimes change the life of a man. That’s what has happened in the life of Mr. John.

On behalf of our Youth Welfare Club, I would like to extend to Mr. John our appreciation of his unparalleled services in the field of charity. Let me conclude my speech with much pleasure. Thank you all, thanks a lot!


 Character Sketch of Mr. John

                                        Mr. John

The Character Mr. John has an equally important role as that of the narrator Dr AJ Cronin in the anecdote ‘The Best Investment I Ever Made’. He is in his early 40s, and  rather short in build with a fair complexion and clear blue eyes. His thin hair has begun to recede from his forehead.  He looks serious and reserved in his dark suit, sober tie and rimless spectacles.  Mr. John was an orphan and had an unhappy and miserable past.  When he was young, he led a loose life. To enjoy pleasures of life, he pledged all his belongings, borrowed huge amount from others, stole some money from his workplace and gambled.  Lost everything , finally he tried to commit suicide, but was fortunately saved by Dr. AJ Cronin.

All these happened 25 years ago. He learned a good lesson from his tragedy and determined to change himself.  Now he is a solicitor by profession and director of a charitable organisation. He wished for a second meeting with Dr. Cronin. But when Mr. John unexpectedly meets him after 25 years during a voyage , he cannot approach him. His diffidence prevents him from approaching Dr Cronin. Finally encouraged by his wife, he approaches and tells him his story. Dr. Cronin becomes extremely happy to know that Mr. John is now a social worker. 


 Email

 

             

From

Sender’s email ID @gmail.com

To

Receiver’s email ID @ gmail.com

Cc

 

Bcc

 

Subject

 An encounter with a stranger

           
     18 March 2021

Dear Sergeant,

 

How are you? Hope you’ll find this email in good health. Two days back an unexpected incident happened. I was on my voyage back from New York. I noticed a stranger watching me very seriously throughout the journey.

 

In the beginning I ignored him. But the next day also he and his wife were watching me. I understood from my steward that they were Mr. and Mrs John _S  from London. He wanted to approach me, but he was too shy to carry out his plan. Anyway, on the final evening of  the journey, he came to me encouraged by his wife. But I couldn’t recognize him. Then he told me about the suicide attempt he made 25 years back.

 

Don’t you remember once we saved a young man from death, who tried to commit suicide inhaling gas? The same man! Now he is practicing as a solicitor and director of a charitable organization. He and his wife have been in the field of social work for the past 15 years. Now I realize that our efforts didn’t go in vain.

 

He is planning a get together. He’ll inform us and the landlady about it. Let’s hope to meet soon.

 

With best regards,

 

(Sd/)

Dr. AJ Cronin.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment